How to Borrow
You need a current Tufts ID to borrow library materials.
Use the library catalog (JumboSearch) to search for books.
- Request books to have library staff hold the books at the circulation desk for you to pick up.
- Or find the books in the stacks yourself. Ask the circulation desk staff if you need help finding books by their call number.
Circulation desk staff can check books out to you, or you can use the Self-Checkout station for books from Ginn’s general circulating collection (stacks).
Loan periods for stacks books at Tufts libraries:
- Faculty and staff: 6 months
- Graduate students: 90 days
- Undergraduates: 28 days
- Alumni: 28 days
- Retired faculty and staff: 28 days
Need a book but can't come to the library? Ask a Librarian and we'll work with you to get you the material you need.
How to Renew
You may renew a book from the general collection up to five times if no one else has requested it.
- Online: log into your library account
- In person: ask at the Ginn Circulation Desk
- By phone: call 617-627-3935
You may renew Course Reserve books and technology items:
- in person at the Ginn Circulation Desk.
- at least 15 minutes before the item is due back.
- at most once per loan.
How to Recall
Need a book that is already checked out by another person? We encourage you to place an interlibrary loan request to get another library’s copy of the book.
How to Return
Return non-hourly loans in the metal book drop bin outside the entrance to Ginn Library, which is emptied twice a day when the library opens and when it closes. This includes:
- Stacks books from any Tufts Library
- Interlibrary loan books you checked out from Ginn
Return all hourly loans inside, to the Ginn circulation desk. This includes:
- Course Reserve books
- All technology items
These items cannot be checked out and must be used in the library:
- Fletcher Dissertations
- U.N. and League of Nations Documents
- Reference Materials