What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service that enables Ginn Library users to request books, book chapters, articles, theses, and more from libraries outside of Tufts. All current students, faculty, and staff are eligible to borrow through this service.
How does it work?
Option A: Type your request information into Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Log into Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad).
- Select the type of item you want to request.
- Type in its title, author, and any other relevant information you have.
Option B: Search Tufts University Libraries and beyond
- Search WorldCat and find the item you want.
- Click the book title, then click "Request Item through Interlibrary Loan."
- You will be redirected to a page where you can log into Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) and submit the request.
How much of a book can I request to have scanned?
It can vary, but copyright guidelines only allow us to request one or two chapters at most, and no more than 20% of a book’s total number of pages.
How long does it take?
- Articles/book chapters: 3-5 days
- Physical items: 7-14 days
These timeframes may be affected by the availability of interlibrary loan services at other institutions.
Log into ILLiad to check the status of your requests. You'll get an email when your items are ready to download (articles/book chapters) or pick up at Ginn (physical items).
How long can I borrow the items?
It varies by resource and by lending library.
- Articles/book chapters: Articles and book excerpts are sent electronically and can be viewed from the Available PDFs queue in your Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) account. Please download these right away, as the files will disappear from your account after 30 days.
- Physical items: The loan period for any ILL book is set by its owning library. Loan periods vary from 1 to 4 months. The due date will be posted on the front cover of each ILL book.
How can I renew my ILL books?
- Please email GinnILL@tufts.edu before the due date to see if a renewal is possible.
- Renewals are considered on a case by case basis.
- Overdue items cannot be renewed.
How can I return my ILL books?
You can return physical items in person to the Ginn Library Circulation Desk, or to the metal book drop bin outside Ginn Library.
You can also mail ILL book returns to:
Ginn Library, Attn: Interlibrary Loan
The Fletcher School
160 Packard Avenue
Medford, MA 02155