What is Interlibrary Loan?
It is a service that enables Ginn library users to request books, book chapters, articles, theses, and more from libraries around the world. All current students, faculty, and staff are eligible to borrow from other libraries.
How does it work?
You can request an unlimited amount of resources to borrow from other libraries.
Option #1: Type your request information into Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad):
- Log into Interlibrary Loan.
- Select the type of item you want to request.
- Type in its title, author, and any other relevant information you have.
Option #2: Search Tufts University Libraries and beyond
- Search WorldCat and find the item you want.
- Click the on book title and then "Request Item through Interlibrary Loan."
- You will be redirected to a page where you can log into Interlibrary Loan and submit the request.
How long does it take?
You will be notified by email when your items arrive with instructions for contactless pickup. You can expect to receive your items within the following timeframe.
- Articles: 3-5 days
- Loans: 7-14 days
Timelines for interlibrary loan requests may be affected by the availability of interlibrary loan services at other institutions.
How long can I borrow the item(s)?
How long you have access to the items varies by item type and by lending library.
- Articles and book excerpts are sent electronically and can be viewed from the Available PDFs queue in your Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) account. Please download these right away, as the files will disappear from your account after 30 days.
- The loan period for any ILL book is set by its owning library. Loan periods vary from 1 to 3 months. The due date will be posted on the front cover of each ILL book.
If you need more time, you may ask to renew your item. Renewals are considered on a case by case basis.
- Click on "Request Renewal" in your Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) account within 7 days of the item's due date, or email GinnILL@tufts.edu.
- Overdue items cannot be renewed.
Please note that a replacement fee will be charged for all items not returned. You can return items in person to the metal book drop bin outside Ginn Library, or mail them to:
Ginn Library, Attn: Interlibrary Loan
The Fletcher School
160 Packard Avenue
Medford, MA 02155
How do I use ILL if I can’t come to the library?
At this time, we are unable to borrow ebooks from other libraries. We are also unable to ship other libraries’ books to students' homes. If you need an entire book and can’t come to the library to pick it up, contact us at GinnILL@tufts.edu. We may be able to order the ebook for Ginn’s collection, or scan portions of another library’s print book to send to you.