What is Interlibrary Loan?
It is a service that enables Ginn library users to request books, book chapters, articles, theses, and more from libraries around the world. All current students, faculty, and staff are eligible to borrow from other libraries.
How does it work?
You can request an unlimited amount of resources to borrow from other libraries.
Option #1: Type your request information into ILLiad
- Log into ILLiad.
- Select the type of item you want to request.
- Type in its title, author, and any other relevant information you have.
Option #2: Search in WorldCat
- Search WorldCat and find the item you want.
- Click the "Request Item" button under "Availability/Holdings."
- You will be redirected to a page where you can log into ILLiad and submit the request.
How long does it take?
You will be notified by email when your items arrive. You can expect to receive your items within the following timeframe.
- Articles: 3-5 days
- Loans: 7-14 days
Articles and chapter excerpts are sent electronically and can be viewed from the Available PDFs queue in your ILLiad account.
Pick up all other items at the Ginn Library Circulation Desk in Mugar Hall (M100).
How long can I borrow the item(s)?
How long you have access to the items varies by item type and by lending library.
- Articles and book excerpts are sent electronically as PDFs, and are available for download from your ILLiad account for 30 days.
- Books and other materials are due back on the date specified by the lending library. You can typically keep them for 1 to 2 months.
If you need more time, you may ask to renew your item. Renewals are considered on a case by case basis.
- Click on "Request Renewal" in your ILLiad account within 7 days of the item's due date, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Overdue items cannot be renewed.
Please note that a replacement fee will be charged for all items not returned. You can return items in person to the Ginn Library Circulation Desk in Mugar 100, or mail them to:
Ginn Library Interlibrary Loan
The Fletcher School
160 Packard Avenue
Medford, MA 02155